Saturday, September 3, 2022

Chapter 5 - Individualism versus Collectivism

     In the textbook, McCornack (2019, p. 131) highlights collectivistic cultures as cultures composed of people that emphasize group identify, interpersonal harmony, and the well-being of in-groups.

     I am reminded of a photograph of Somali women, framed on my wall at home.  To me, the image speaks of Somali culture as quintessentially a collectivistic culture.  The image was taken at a community celebration.  From my eyes, I saw a young girl who was largely free of constraints and enjoying the pleasure of dance as she swirled her skirt around.  I could see the excitement and wonder of life, through a child's eyes.

     Behind her, I saw the collective.  I saw what she will become.  Her culture will accept her, train her, teach her, scold her, offer a dress code for her, present expectations to her, and show her how to be part of the collective.  She will learn from her mother, grandmother, teachers, religious leaders, and peers.  Her youthful excitement is unconstrained and unrestrained.  When it is time for her to step back and join the group, she will have transformed into the group.

     In this photograph, I see culture communicated, layered, and lived (McCornack, 2019, p. 125).

Image taken by me at a local Somali celebration.

McCornack, S. (2019). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication. Boston: Bedford.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13 - Walking Lonely

     Cultural nuances with friendship abound and the textbook highlights this aspect of friendship (McCornack, 2019, p. 358).  The author...