Saturday, September 3, 2022

Chapter 6 - Gender

     McCornack (2019 p. 152) defines gender as a broader term encompassing the social, psychological, and behavioral attributes that a particular culture associates with an individual's biological sex.  Also, gender varies according to culture, because different cultures have different standards, or norms, for expected behaviors, roles, and gender expression.  (McCornack, 2019, p. 152)

     Context (McCornack, 2019, p. 155) comes to mind as I am awash with different interactions that I have had recently.  Sharing the experience of gender varies depending upon context.  Recently, upon entering a store, I held the door for another to pass before I entered.  I don’t know how the other person considered my action but I probably binned it as “chivalry,” a socially constructed gender identity (McCornack, 2019, p. 153).  I suspect my decision to hold the door open was a manifestation of society's norms.  I could say it was because I am a kind and considerate human but I suspect that unconscious and instantaneous impulse was first, socially constructed gender identity.

     While driving, if another turns on their blinker to enter my lane, I slow and allow the lane change.  That deferment has no gender aspect (I think) since I cannot see the driver in the other car and my slowing is a conscious decision for the benefit of traffic flow.  My act could be feminine (cooperation) yet my motivation could be masculine (protecting).  In that situation, I claim “kind and considerate human” although I believe my decision was more about the good of the group as much as accommodating a particular driver.

God Speed!, by Edmund Leighton (1900)

McCornack, S. (2019). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication. Boston: Bedford.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13 - Walking Lonely

     Cultural nuances with friendship abound and the textbook highlights this aspect of friendship (McCornack, 2019, p. 358).  The author...