Saturday, September 10, 2022

Chapter 9 - Loud means Anger and Contempt!

 Expressing emotion (McCornack, 2019, p. 248) includes loudness.  A loud voice expresses anger and contempt.  

     I know a single Mom who has a third-grader.  The little girl had returned from her first day of school.  After repeated attempts to find out how her first day went, (her response was a consistent, “good”), she opened up to the principal’s talk to everyone in the auditorium and then each teacher’s short introduction.  There was one male teacher and she chose his introduction to relate to me.  She lowered her voice to mimic him and said, “I’m Mr. Jennings.  I teach third grade.  I may sound loud like I am angry but I am not, I am a man and my voice is lower.  I am excited to see each and every one of you.”

     Initially, I was confused and the little third-grader was too busy wiggling and giggling to offer further explanation.  Her Mom told me that some kids aren’t used to hearing a man project his voice across an auditorium and they become afraid so that is why they (male teachers) tell the students about the effects of longer vocal folds.  I found this both adorable and hilarious.  I also found that little one's attempt to project a low voice both adorable and hilarious.


McCornack, S. (2019). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication. Boston: Bedford
.




Getty images.  From https://ktxs.com/news/local/all-time-high-of-teachers-on-the-verge-of-leaving-profession-according-to-tsta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13 - Walking Lonely

     Cultural nuances with friendship abound and the textbook highlights this aspect of friendship (McCornack, 2019, p. 358).  The author...