Friday, August 26, 2022

Chapter 7 - On Being a Renaissance Listener...

     McCornack's textbook (page 185) lists five common listening functions; to comprehend, to discern, to analyze, to appreciate, and to support.  These five functions are not mutually exclusive and a good listener changes between them frequently and with fluidity.  The trick is to know when to switch between purposes so you become skillful and flexible.

     I considered my listening behavior as a nursing assistant.  Initially, I thought that the fluidity, that ability to effortless switch purposes, was important.  The more I thought about it, I concluded that analytical self-discipline to constantly evaluate and prioritize what listening purposes is needed.  Then, layer (or add) received information on top of already gained information to help form a more complete understanding of a patient is critical.  This process never ends!

     Listening can be hard work!  Regularly, I listen to a patient and in a sentence or two, I am considering nearly all five listening purposes.  Information in one patient sentence is relevant in comprehending, discernment, analyzing, appreciating, and supporting.  In this sense, it isn’t about switching and fluidity as much as appreciating that any communication from a patient is relevant to all five listening purposes, although one purpose may take the lead.

     Thinking more on this, feeling exhausted after work is as much to being on my feet all day as my brain and ears working as hard as my feet for the entire day.  Worth repeating… Listening is hard work!



Image from News 4 San Antonio on 1 December 2020.
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/coronavirus/gallery/patient-in-viral-photo-with-icu-doctor-i-want-to-be-with-my-wife?photo=1


McCornack, S. (2019). Reflect and relate: An introduction to interpersonal communication . Boston: Bedford.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 13 - Walking Lonely

     Cultural nuances with friendship abound and the textbook highlights this aspect of friendship (McCornack, 2019, p. 358).  The author...